Unlock Sounds from Pictures
In this groundbreaking South African bird book, the text does not merely describe what can be seen in the photographs, but also offers a wealth of extraordinary facts which, together with the Callfinder, unlock a rich learning experience.
Meet the Authors
Saartjie Kidson and Herman van Niekerk, the authors, in 2003 discovered a shortcoming in local bird guides and immediately started to work on a new series of innovative bird guides. Their knowledge, love of nature and involvement in bird watching and nature conservation ideally equipped them for such a comprehensive project. Two popular regional bird guides, Spotter’s guide to birds of the Bushveld and Spotter’s guide to birds of the Lowveld, were completed with accompanying, value-adding DVD’s and a bird call CD. Then the giant step was taken to produce a national bird guide based on the same concept. Advanced technology, however, now made it possible to replace the separate DVD’s with the Callfinder® greatly enhancing the accessibility of bird calls. A first for South Africa.
The authors are convinced that bird watching in South Africa will henceforth change substantially and that an entire new generation of young, technologically minded people will become dedicated bird watchers.
Saartjie was, amongst others, also a founder member of the Naboomspruit Bird Club and Herman of Friends of Nylsvley. Herman also published various other books.
- ISBN: 978 1 920217 22 4
- Pages: 320 (with more than 800 quality photos)
- Format: 168 x 240 mm paperback
The Callfinder is battery operated and easy to use. It doesn’t depend on internet or network coverage and has no complicated menus or operating instructions.
Briza uses new printing technology to print an invisible grid over every photo. The eye of the Callfinder® reads this grid and recalls the bird’s call from its internal memory card. For the first time, bird calls can be heard from the pages of a field guide!
Callfinder Maintenance Tip: Please remember to fully charge your Callfinder monthly if not in use.
To record on your Callfinder®:
- Press R (and release) to record
- Press R (and release) to stop recording
- Press R for two seconds and release to listen to your recording.
Note that you can only listen to your last recording. All recordings are kept in separate sound files on your Callfinder®'s almost 100 minutes of storage capacity.
To download and to 'delete' your recordings:
- Connect your Callfinder® to your computer by using your USB cable.
- Open 'My Computer' and click on 'Removable Disk..'.
- Open your Callfinder® on your computer and you will find three files: BOOK, MP3 and RECORD
- Click on 'RECORD'. All your recordings will show in separate sound files. You can now download and 'save' these sound files on your computer.
- You can 'delete' all recordings (on your Callfinder®) to have the maximum capacity available for new recordings.