Evolved Recording in More Ways Than One
Zoom's products are constantly evolving to meet the needs of the creators who use them. With the H5 Handy Recorder, the tradition continues. The H5 provides four tracks of simultaneous recording and, like the flagship H6, it can use all Zoom interchangeable input capsules, allowing you to choose the best microphone for every recording situation. The flexible and powerful H5 provides everything you need to create multitrack recordings, audio for video, and state-of-the-art podcasting, broadcasting and electronic news gathering.
MSH-6 MS Capsule: The Ultimate in Image Control
Welcome to "Mid-Side" recording, a whole new level of precision in your ability to shape sound. The Zoom H6 Digital Audio Recorder provided MS Capsule contains dual mic elements - a forward-facing, unidirectional mic (the "Mid") and a side-facing, bi-directional mic (the "Side"). Together with the H6's onboard MS decoder, they capture a fully mono-compatible stereo image that can actually be adjusted after recording - ideal for film, video, and television projects.
EXH-6 Dual XLR/TRS Combo Capsule: Expanded Connectivity
Plugging in the optional EXH-6 Dual XLR/TRS Combo Capsule gives you two more inputs, transforming your H6 into the world's smallest six-track recorder. Connect up to six discrete signals from external microphones, instruments, mixers, or portable music players to fully realise your audio vision. It's all the power of a professional recording studio, right in the palm of your hand.
XYH-5 X/Y Capsule: Louder. Closer. Cleaner.
X/Y recording allows you to cover a wide area yet still capture sound sources in the centre with clarity and definition, making it ideal for all types of live stereo recording. The XYH-5 X/Y microphone capsule included with the H5 provides two matched unidirectional condenser microphones set at a 90-degree angle. These are housed within an advanced shockmount that employs rugged external mic wires and rubberized material to isolate the unit from the H5 body and thus minimize vibration and handling noise. The design of the XYH-5 also allows the H5 to handle louder sounds than any other Handy Recorder model: 140 dB SPL, to be precise—equivalent to the sound of a jet aircraft from less than 60 m away—enabling you to capture sounds louder, closer, and cleaner than you ever could before.
XYH-6 X/Y Capsule: Live Recording Personified
The optional XYH-6 capsule employs two angled high-quality unidirectional mics which are sensitive to signals coming from the front but less to signals coming from the sides and rear. X/Y recording is optimum when you want to cover a wide area yet still capture a strong centre image, making it the perfect choice for all types of live stereo recording. SSH-6 Stereo Shotgun Capsule: The Best of Both Worlds The SSH-6 Stereo Shotgun capsule adds a super-directional mic for capturing sounds directly in front, plus a bi-directional one for capturing ambient sounds. It's ideal for location recording, allowing videographers and content creators to capture dialogue or narration with the centre microphone and mixing in the desired amount of environmental sound captured by the side microphone.
SGH-6 Shotgun Capsule: All the Pickup, Half the Length
The optional SGH-6 Shotgun Capsule adds a professional-quality, highly directional microphone to the H5 Handy Recorder with USB, creating an ideal audio setup for film, video, live theatre, and ENG (electronic news gathering) applications. Three elements combined with digital signal processing inside the SGH-6 give you the highly directional pickup power of a conventional shotgun mic in a unit half the size - ideal for recording dialogue and narration with no intrusive mic in the scene.
- Uses a system of interchangeable input capsules that can be swapped out as easily as the lens of a camera
- Includes detachable X/Y capsule (XYH-5) with extended signal capacity and shock-mounted mics for reduced handling noise
- Compatible with all Zoom input capsules
- Four-track simultaneous recording
- Large backlit LCD display
- Records directly to SD and SDHC cards up to 32 GB
- Up to 24-bit/96 kHz audio in BWF-compliant WAV or a variety of MP3 formats
- Two mic/line inputs with XLR/TRS combo connectors, each with selectable phantom power and -20 dB pad
- Analogue-style gain controls for each input
- Protective "roll-bar" type covers prevent accidental movement of gain controls
- Plug-in power (2.5 volts)
- Built-in effects, including low-cut filtering, compression, and limiting
- Chromatic tuner and metronome
- Auto-record, Pre-record, and Backup-record functions mean that you'll never miss that perfect take
- MS decoding
- Multitrack to stereo internal mixdown
- Normalise, Divide, and Trim editing
- Voice memo and up to 99 marks per recording
- A/B loop playback
- Variable playback speed and variable pitch without affecting playback speed
- Multichannel and stereo USB audio interface for PC/Mac/iPad with loop back function
- Mountable to DSLR or camcorder with optional HS-01 Hot Shoe Mount adapter
- Uses two standard AA alkaline or NiMH rechargeable batteries
- Over 15 hours of operation with alkaline batteries