Do you want to stream live content over the Internet? Then the Blackmagic Design ATEM Mini is for you! It is a quick and easy-to-use tool that lets you get started with creating live streaming content for various social media platforms.
With venues shut down during the coronavirus crisis, everyone is talking about live streaming these days. It offers viewers an immersive experience from the comfort (and safety) of their homes. Even the popular Nelspruit Innibos festival went digital by selling tickets for live music shows and theatre productions.
Build an audience online
Live video is not just popular out of necessity or even convenience; it is part of the online video revolution. It can be used for broadcasting various special events such as virtual concerts, conferences and church ceremonies. It is an easy way to share your events with an online audience instead of holding an in-person event, and also generates more comments, shares, engagements and viewing time than standard video.
Think about it – there are about 4 billion Internet users all around the world every single day. With a quality setup and the right approach for your target market, it is possible to reach a much wider geographical audience than you would have otherwise.
How do I get started?
While it may seem daunting at first, the equipment needed to set up for live streaming is fairly straightforward. Some of the equipment you most likely already own, and others will allow you to level up from smartphone videos for a more professional viewing experience.
Here is an overview of the gear you will most likely need:
- Audio & video: Cameras, camcorders or mobile devices, including microphones.
- Lighting: Three-point lighting using ring and/or LED lights that are flattering on your subject.
- Production: Video mixers and/or software to increase presentation quality.
- Streaming platform: YouTube, Facebook Live, Skype, Twitch, etc.
Why do you need a video mixer?
First, let’s clarify what a video mixer (also known as a switcher) is. It is a device that selects between multiple video input sources and directs one of those signals (or composes them together) into a single output that is visible on a monitor or screen.
With live streaming, a mixer is an essential piece of equipment (or software) that lets you choose which of the various incoming camera angles offers the best view to output or send live. This allows you to offer your audience a more interactive experience, almost as if they are right there with you focusing on the most exciting parts of the production as they happen.
How do you choose a video mixer?
As with any camera equipment, this decision depends on your budget and what you want to achieve. If you are only just getting started with video production, a user-friendly device will work best. It takes the guessing work out of live streaming video.
At the higher end of the price range, this includes the Roland V-1 HD that is available in either SDI or HDMI connection types. At a more affordable price point, the ATEM Mini provides you with everything you need for professional output. To help with your decision, email us for tailored advice.
Meet the Blackmagic Design ATEM Mini
The ATEM Mini works straight out of the box with four HDMI input sources and has an intuitive, easy-to-use design that makes it possible for anyone to live stream multi-camera productions online via services and software such as YouTube, Facebook Live or even Skype.
With push-button controls on top, you have everything you need to quickly put out content to your audience. Creating live content online has never been so accessible… and rewarding!
Setup is quick and easy
The ATEM Mini is fast and easy to learn. Use the included USB-C cable to connect the ATEM Mini to your computer, and then plug up to four cameras to the ATEM Mini via HDMI cables. Here are the steps in detail:
- Connect Power: Plug in the power supply using the supplied power adaptor. A 12V power supply or even a 12V DC battery will also work fine. If you have a locking DC connector, then make sure to tighten it firmly.
- Connect Monitoring: Press the M/V button on the video output selection. Now you can see all your sources as you plug in cameras! If you have an ATEM Mini Pro, then this model has a multiview so you can see it if you connect a monitor to the HDMI out.
- Plugin Video Sources: Plug your cameras and computers into the four HDMI inputs. This gives you four different video sources to switch between when creating your program. All the HDMI inputs are standards converted so don’t worry about video settings!
- Connect a Computer: If you’re streaming, then all models use USB as a webcam. First, connect the USB to a computer. Your computer will recognise ATEM Mini as a webcam and you can then select it as the webcam source in your streaming software, such as Skype.
- Stream Video: Skype is a good app for testing, so let’s configure it for ATEM Mini. In Skype audio and video, settings select Blackmagic Design as the video and audio sources. You will see the ATEM Mini video in the preview window and you can make calls!
Ultimately, these steps will deliver your program to your streaming profile. A transport layer will enable you to log in to your YouTube account directly from the ATEM Mini box in a matter of seconds.
Click here for more in-depth product features and specifications, including how-to’s on transitioning effects.
Tired of reading? Watch this! ▶
00:00 Intro | 00:39 Specs & features | 1:53 Connecting inputs & control buttons | 3:34 ATEM Software Control
The final word
The Blackmagic Design ATEM Mini is the live streaming equipment you need between your camera and your preferred streaming platform. It is designed to take a number of input sources for use with various camera sources and delivers h.265 encoded output at 1080p for more professional live broadcasting that is affordable and easy to get started with.
To learn more about the ATEM Mini or ATEM Mini Pro, follow the links below that go to our online shop. If you’d like to discuss how this product can work for you (and any other ins and outs regarding your video streaming setup, get in touch with one of our expert sales consultants at [email protected]. We don’t just sell gear; we live the lifestyle.
Do you have any other questions or ideas you’d like us to elaborate on? Leave a comment below and we’ll get back to you.