In South Africa, you know Spring has arrived when GoPro releases its new HERO camera. The HERO9 Black just the right addition to your adventures as the weather starts to warm up and draw you outside.
Every year, the new HERO impresses with new features, but when do you know that it’s really time to start upgrading? If you haven’t done so in years, perhaps now is the time.
- Horizon Leveling: Using the new Linear and Horizon Levelling digital lens, in-camera horizon levelling (up to 45% tilt) helps your footage stay stable and straight.
- Scheduled Capture: Lets you schedule the start time for your shot in advance. You can also use the timer to get yourself in group shots or grab a selfie, or use Duration Capture to choose how long HERO9 Black records before automatically stopping.
- Hindsight: Never miss another moment with this great new feature. It keeps recording without making the memory card full, allowing you to include the 30 seconds of video before you hit the shutter button – and everything after – until you stop recording.
- Webcam Mode: Lets you connect your HERO9 Black to your computer to broadcast in 1080p full HD. Use optionally sold GoPro mounts to create your ideal webcam setup. With over 45 compatible mounts and accessories, you will surely find something that works for you.
What’s been improved?
- Detachable lens: Last year’s HERO8 Black had a new cageless design with built-in mounting rings and a more compact front lens. On the HERO9, this lens cover is removable and replaceable should you scratch it. But, it is also possible to add alternative, separately sold lenses such as the ultra-wide Max Lens Mod, Light Mod, Display Mod and Media Mod. You can also tap into any one of the digital lenses to create more epic shots: switch between Narrow, Linear, Wide, SuperView and Linear + Horizon Leveling.
- Larger sensor: The HERO9 sports a beastly 23.6MP sensor, which is quite a jump from its predecessor’s 12MP sensor. This means that you can take 20MP stills and even pull 14MP stills from a video. And when we’re talking video, we mean 5K! Sure, most of our devices only support up to 4K, but the extra pixels expand your creative options in post-production. Now you can zoom in and crop your footage, or even print them out. Note that 5K is limited to 30fps, so when shooting fast-paced action, we recommend switching down to 4K60.
- Stabilisation: Create incredibly smooth videos with HyperSmooth 3.0. It cuts down on camera shake Experience ultimate smoothness with our most advanced video stabilisation ever. HyperSmooth 3.0 enables in-camera horizon levelling and boost in all settings.
- TimeWarp 3.0: Record time-lapse scenes as you move on the road, on foot or anywhere else, and speed them afterwards by selecting the desired speed. The new Speed Ramp capability also lets you select Real Speed (now with audio) or Half-Speed while recording.
- More screens: A large rear touch screen (with zoom) provides fast, intuitive control while a new full, colour front screen delivers a live preview for easy framing, playback footage and snapping selfies.
- Improved battery life: Thanks to a larger 1720mAh battery, HERO9 addresses many users’ concerns over battery life. Able to last up to 30% longer, now you can shoot more without having to swap out batteries. GoPro also claims that the battery performance in cold weather is better. When used with the optional Supercharger power adaptor, it will also charge up to 35% faster.
What can you rely on?
- Durable, tough & waterproof: The HERO9 Black is as tough as every. It is rugged and waterproof to 10m so that you can explore without worrying about damaging the camera. Add the optionally sold Protective Housing to dive even deeper to 60m. It provides additional protection from dirt, intense activities and flying debris, and the included skeleton backdoor allows better audio capture and access to the touch screen.
- Save, edit & transfer: Download the GoPro app to control the camera remotely, start and stop recording and offload media. You can even make single and multi-clip edits and share them all from your phone. Transfer pics and videos fast via a USB-C cable (compatible with Android devices). And when everything is said and done, backup your shoot to the cloud. Simply subscribe to GoPro to access this feature.
- Other GoPro app features: The GoPro app recognises smiles, blinks and more to intelligently pick your best photos and videos. It also lets you showcase your location, altitude and speed (on-screen) by adding Data Overlays to your videos in the GoPro app. Options include Speedometer, GoPro logo, GPS Path, Altitude, Map, Speed chart and G-Force.
- Presets: HERO9 Black comes preloaded with recommended video presets for Standard, Activity, Cinematic and Slo-Mo shots. You can even create custom presets for quick access to your favourite settings.
- LiveBurst: Record what happens 1.5 seconds before and after your shot, then pick your favourite single frame for the best pic or a shareable video.
- SuperPhoto, HDR & RAW Capture: RAW mode delivers the most flexibility, is available for time-lapse and burst photos, plus it works in single- or multi-shot sequences.
- Voice Control: Go hands-free and control your GoPro with up to 14 voice commands. You can even wake the camera up when it is off by saying, “GoPro, turn on”.