Ten years ago, Danny Lennihan first said the words “3 Legged Thing”. Since then, 3 Legged Thing (3LT for short), has become the go-to tripod brand for photographers and videographers who are looking for a quality product that has loads of personality too.
3 Legged Thing is the brand with a story – a real story and not just one that has been tweaked to make them look even edgier. Still headquartered in the original, converted chicken shed where the company started, they have since expanded their locations to support their growing offering and fan base. For their South African audience, jokes about being “straight outta Stagsden” don’t really have the impact I imagine it has in Bedfordshire, England, but it does not make them seem any less cool. I mean, we’ve all seen the movie, haven’t we? Perhaps its time for 3LT to shoot their own biographical drama film?
3 Legged Thing Product Range
For 3 Legged Thing, it is all about incorporating the latest innovation but, unlike other brands who continuously churn out the newest and latest with so few tweaks that you’re left wondering what all the hype was about, 3LT only releases new ranges when they are truly NEW. For this reason, it is relatively easy to make sense of their offering, which includes the:
- Legends Range – 3LT’s flagship range: It incorporates the latest level of tripod technology and is their most stable and versatile tripod system ever. Features include fully detachable legs for ultra-low shooting or monopod conversion, Rapid-Latch leg locks for quick and easy angle adjustment (even for users with disabilities or those wearing protective gloves), O-Pads for ultimate water displacement and refined grip, and new anti-rotation technology, levelling-base and horizontal columns.
- Pro Range 2.0 – 3LT’s professional range. It has become an industry benchmark for quality and versatility. Features three detachable legs for use as monopods and boom arms, and enables conversion to a table-top tripod, patented Tri-mount, removable centre column, and provides a choice of head and foot options. The Equinox comes in natural pantones of earth bronze and ocean blue, while the Eclipse is available in metallic grey with subtle hints of British racing green. Both are finished with delicate copper accents.
- Punks Range – 3LT’s entry-level range: It is equivalent to most brands’ professional level products. With greater functionality than most in this class and load capabilities upwards of 14 kg, the Punks are unmatched in quality and capability. Features removable and reversible centre columns to enable low-level shooting, and unique “Bubble” grips for better grip and water dissipation. Available in two distinct colour schemes, the natural blue/grey and matt black.
- AirHeds – quality tripod ball heads: From 360 rotational heads to lever clamps, and video heads with smooth-action tilt mechanisms.
- Ellie System – universal L-brackets: A unique, innovative, modular and incredibly versatile universal L-Bracket system that provides solutions for almost any camera, with multiple mount and compatibility options with Arca-Swiss and Peak Design Capture V3.
- Tripod accessories: From head to foot, 3LT offers a comprehensive range of accessories, including award-winning L-Brackets, multi-functional clamps and release plates, and footwear to meet the challenges of even the toughest terrain.
3 Legged Thing also standardises their technology across all products as they invent and create new things, and always ensure that their products are backwards compatible. This protects your investment and allows you to improve your gear kit as you progress without having to replace items that work perfectly well.
Whether you’re into travel, landscape and studio, and macro and low-level photography, or videography, 3LT will have the perfect tripod for you. We know that not only because we trust their products, but also because they’re recognised within the industry. In 2017, 3 Legged Thing won the Best Tripod at the Lucie Technical Awards. This was for the Equinox Leo, which is a micro tripod with unique modular functionality. It falls under 3LT’s professional tripod range. Since then, they have updated the entire Pro Range, making this award-winning tripod the very best in this category.
Equinox Leo? There are many more quirky names where that came from! As with their brand name, 3LT likes doing things differently than everyone else in the industry, so they gave their tripods actual names, like Brian, Travis and Alan. So, next time someone refers to their tripod as being a companion, you can truly relate.
3 Legged Thing Features
Colourful: In addition to being fun, 3LT tripods are also beautiful. Who said that tripod can only be black? You can immediately recognise a 3LT by its colourful design – Pantone orange and blue, or sexy matte black of you’re looking for something more sophisticated.
Ultra functional: 3 Legged Thing does not only focus on quality but on functionality. Every tripod should be modular and ultra-functional to support you in your creative endeavours.
Modular: If you’re going to invest in the future, why not get the one product that is reconfigurable to suit the demands of modern professional photography? Every tripod in the 3LT Legends and Pro Ranges features three detachable legs to enable ultra-low level photography and videography. The Legends hybrid tripods – Mike & Jay – take this a stage further with conversions for stabilised monopod systems as well as detachable boom arms.
Stable and rigid: 3 Legged Thing is not only versatile but strong as well. The vision was to create a travel tripod system with the load-bearing capabilities and the rigidity of a landscape tripod. And they have mastered it! In their quest for the ultimate support system, they have created unparalleled mechanical stability. They use the highest, aerospace-grade magnesium alloy for our working parts and 100% pure Japanese pre-preg carbon fibre.
Leg locking systems: 3 Legged Thing has three unique leg-locking systems, namely: ParaLock, Twist Grip and Twist Lock.
- Parallel Lock (ParaLock) – Is unique to 3 Legged Thing, and unique to Pro Range 2. The leg locks are weighted to reduce the centre of gravity and widened to give better torque resulting in greater rigidity. Each lock is inset with tactile 3M rubber pads for ultimate grip in any conditions.
- Twist Lock – Available on Punks Tripods and is a simple twist mechanism, with unique bubble-grips to provide better water displacement and grip.
- Twist Grip – A hybrid grip system unique to the Legends Range that combines the technologies of ParaLock and Twist Lock. With bubble-patterned inset 3M O-Pads, the Twist Grip is a machined alloy lock with inset circular Pads for ultimate grip and water displacement.
If you’ve been looking to invest in a versatile tripod that lasts, invest in a 3 Legged Thing tripod. Browse our product range here.