Become a part of the community. Register and take part in all the features the site has to offer.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Canon CR2 Raw Files on iPad

Hi

I am seeking some advice on viewing Canon CR2 RAW files on an iPad. I have become a little tired of dragging a laptop around and I am thinking of using an iPad to store and view Canon CR2 RAW files when on vacation. Does anyone have any info on doing this and what is a good app to use to view the files. I understand that an external hard drive cannot be connected directly to an iPad for backing up the files from the iPad so I would leave the files on the CF card and carry enough cards with me and download them once I returned from vacation.

Hope someone can assist on this.

Jim

Frequent Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Canon CR2 Raw Files on iPad

Quote Originally Posted by JimS View Post
    Hi

I am seeking some advice on viewing Canon CR2 RAW files on an iPad. I have become a little tired of dragging a laptop around and I am thinking of using an iPad to store and view Canon CR2 RAW files when on vacation. Does anyone have any info on doing this and what is a good app to use to view the files. I understand that an external hard drive cannot be connected directly to an iPad for backing up the files from the iPad so I would leave the files on the CF card and carry enough cards with me and download them once I returned from vacation.

Hope someone can assist on this.

Jim
    Photos and iPhoto (the two apple apps) will only let you view/edit the embedded jpg file in the raw file but apps like Filterstorm will let you do some pretty heavy pixel pushing with the actual RAW file.

You'll also need the camera connection kit to get the photos off the camera.

Post Thanks / Like

I went the Notebook route for this.

I can now download the files onto a hard drive (even back it up to an external hard drive)

I can view the RAW photos with Picaso ... SLOW, but it can be done.

On three occasions the notebook and 3G has enabled me to get help (once for myself and twice to help friends in our group) Granted if you have the right type of iPad you would also be able to get onto the web.

and at R2,5k the note book worked out cheaper than a bag full of cards ....

Post Thanks / Like

Also went the laptop route and have been looking at replacing with the Ipad but it is just too difficult to work with/back up photos. I use an external Hard drive and back up my photo's off the laptop so I have 2 copies before deleting from my cards. If the laptop gets full I can write to CD/DVD as well. For the price of a decent iPad you can buy a great 13" laptop. Add a 3G dongle and you have internet in lots of places. You can even use the laptop to make a phone call or skype that an iPad would struggle to do. iPad's are overpriced, propriatary and not a good option.
    Don (http://www.DonRoosPhoto.com)
    Canon 5DMkII & 400D, Battery Grips, Sandisk 32Gb, 4Gb & 1Gb, Canon EF 24-105 f4 L IS USM, Canon EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS USM, Tamron SP AF90 f2.8 Di, Sigma 18-200 f/3.5-6.3 OS, 580EX II & MR-14EX Flashes, Remote, Manfrotto 190XPROB Tripod, 676B Monopod, 322RC2 Ball Head, Ergorest Window Bracket, Lowepro Trekker4, Fujitsu Siemens V3205 12" Laptop

Frequent Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a 13" MBP and an iPad and TBH I'll leave the MBP at home and use the iPad any opportunity I get.

Proprietary? Big deal. The CR2 files coming out of canon cameras are just as proprietary.

StockShooter
    Post Thanks / Like

RAW files eats up space.... If you really want to work on RAW files, then maybe think about a laptop (we shoot raw to get the best possible quality after all)

If you want a visual reference an play around a bit, consider shooting RAW and JPEG and take the JPEG's to the ipad to play around with a bit. You can do full on edits on the RAW files when you get back...