Become a part of the community. Register and take part in all the features the site has to offer.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Debate - Hide Space

Quote Originally Posted by Linz View Post
    Dear Hide Hogger
    I applaud you for getting up at 4 in the morning and 'trekking' out to your destination. I have tried that but failed dismally. Maybe your dedication to your 'craft' should earn you the space of three people.

This is why I started this debate ....

So where are you .... hide hoggers .... state your case!
    Dear Linz

As I said .. we (photographers) all are. Some just worse than others. As I said earlier, the hides by and large were established by the twitchers (bird watchers) and not the avain photographers.
    The more you practice, the luckier you get! (Gary Player)

Gallery Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nqina Dlamini View Post
    You are taking this way too serious.
    do you mean way too seriuosly?
    "We shall not cease from exploration... and returning to our point of departure, see the place as if for the first time. "
    T.S. Eliot

GALLERY;
    http://www.outdoorphoto.co.za/forum/member.php?u=13812

We shall not cease from exploration!!

Post Thanks / Like

Anybody going to Rondebult tomorrow? Want me to keep space for you?
    shooter

Oh Lord, thank You for the 70-200 f2.8 VRII - can now finally take pictures of the dog and kids running through the sprinklers...

Gallery Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dodging View Post
    yes please....but you better watch out for Robbie!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Big W View Post
    Dear "Avid bird photographers"

Get your own hide

http://www.stealth-gear.com/products...phy-hides.html

Only joking!
    Ya... but that's for Canon. They don't seem to make a Nikon version?? It won't fit, silly!!
    Last edited by Surly Ghillie; 04-05-2012 at 01:55 PM.
    "We shall not cease from exploration... and returning to our point of departure, see the place as if for the first time. "
    T.S. Eliot

GALLERY;

Post Thanks / Like

Dude ... seriously

... with a half collared kingfisher spotted and photographed at the Botanical Gardens ....

... even Marievale might have a few seats ....

Post Thanks / Like

I'll ask Debonairs for a special order tonight - Baked Bean, Garlic and Anchovy pizza on a thin crust please
    shooter

Oh Lord, thank You for the 70-200 f2.8 VRII - can now finally take pictures of the dog and kids running through the sprinklers...

Post Thanks / Like

..and do I get a Mini Oxford with that as the toy?
    shooter

StockShooter
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll ask Debonairs for a special order tonight - Baked Bean, Garlic and Anchovy pizza on a thin crust please
    Dude! Just be careful, that plan might backfire on you big time... erm... no pun intended!

Would be sad if you don't even make it to the hide!

Post Thanks / Like

I'll pretend to be a Canon 5d3 for the day - have leak issues and whatnot
    shooter

Post Thanks / Like

If somebody smokes close to me I'll be the BIF they take pics of
    shooter

Post Thanks / Like

"Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No! It's a... Wait - what the hell?!"
    shooter

Post Thanks / Like

Going to BG on Sunday ....

Wonder if those 'guys' will slog there stuff around the gardens!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Surly Ghillie View Post
    what's that in English?

@Robbie; are you saying the fact of the type of car someone may drive automatically ranks their knowledge of photography below yours? there is no rational correlation to follow.

generalisations are seldom relevent to the issues in any debate. it would not be too different to saying something like" people who harbour feelings of social inferiority usually hide behind large chips that they carry around on their shoulder"

who cares? BTW, some freelancers earn squat. the degree of financial success or failure than an individual might enjoy has little correlation to their character. rampant egotism is an equal opportunity character flaw. no person or social grouping has a franchise on it . the debate is about selfishness and self-absorbtion in particular reference to the behaviour of individuals in nature hides. in any open society you get countless conflicts between individual value systems. A nature hide is just a microcosm of the broader society. All sense of entitlement sucks ~ irrespective of who is wearing it.

Ok, so I just saw this. You are far too serious dude. But as a matter of interest, whilst a generalization, the richer people do believe that others are inferior to them and they are above the law and the general rules of society. What does this matter you may ask? Well when it comes to hide space then many believe that they have an entitlement of more space than other mere mortals. The type of vehicle they drive does give an indication as to their financial status and does therefore play a role in the equation. The quality of anyone's images was never questioned nor commented upon.

So if you do fall into this category, then stop hogging the hides! Lol :-)
    Capture the light and share it with the world!

Gallery Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

The quality of anyone's images was never questioned nor commented upon
    what??
    these are normally those Landcruiser or Range Rover types... the ones that think they know more than me about photography
    that's not a qualitative comment about their images relative to yours? sorry, I must have misunderstood. my bad.

But as a matter of interest, whilst a generalization, the richer people do believe that others are inferior to them and they are above the law and the general rules of society.
    .... from my simple, uneducated, low-rent, born-in-a-gutter perspective.... you are judging people from assumptions made, based on the car they might drive. Your judgement of individuals, based on a perception of their relative wealth is no different to exactly what you accuse them of ;
    the richer people do believe that others are inferior to them.... when it comes to hide space then many believe that they have an entitlement of more space than other mere mortals
    and then in the same breath you tell me I'm too serious?
    I'll make a deal with you Robbie, or any one else that feels this is a rational perspective; I'll try to be less serious, you try to be more open minded.

This is supposed to be a debate. It's not about personality, not mine, nor Robbie's. It's about the ideas and counter-contentions offered.
    Serioooous!
    Last edited by Surly Ghillie; 05-05-2012 at 01:49 PM.
    T.S. Eliot

GALLERY;

Frequent Member Karin Leibbrandt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

... so I think I shall remain unemployed. I am going to build a hide and rent out space per sq meter. I'll also sell Coke and beers and Simba. Then I am going to invest the profit and build a second hide.

Then I shall start a bird hide franchise. I'll call it ...?

For those who arrive in Citi Golf's, the price per sq m will be half. Those in L/Rovers and L/Cruisers and any form of 4x4, will pay double. Any leather seats in cars? Cost is tripple. Why? Because it is MY hide and I'll charge what I want.

Those who danced were thought to be quite mad by those who could not hear the music -

Angela Monet

(Comments on images reflect personal opinion on creativity, visual impact and beauty.
    Technical aspects are not commented on whatsoever.)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Karin Cronje View Post
    ... so I think I shall remain unemployed. I am going to build a hide and rent out space per sq meter. I'll also sell Coke and beers and Simba. Then I am going to invest the profit and build a second hide.

Then I shall start a bird hide franchise. I'll call it ...?

For those who arrive in Citi Golf's, the price per sq m will be half. Those in L/Rovers and L/Cruisers and any form of 4x4, will pay double. Any leather seats in cars? Cost is tripple. Why? Because it is MY hide and I'll charge what I want.
    Karin, I drive a landy but shoot mediocre pics.... Do I qualify for a discount?
    "Every hour of every day I'm learning more,The more I learn, the less I know about before,The less I know, the more I want to look around" -UB40

Nikon D800, D7000, Nikkor f/2.8 70-200mm , Nikkor,105mm f/2.8, Nikkor 50mm f/1.4, Tokina f/2.8 11-16mm, SB-900 Flash, TC-20E11 Teleconverter, Manfrotto 055XPROB Tripod

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Harrison View Post
    Karin, I drive a landy but shoot mediocre pics.... Do I qualify for a discount?

..... of COURSE you do! Just because you have a sense of humor!

As long as you put your stuff anywhere else but on the bench in the hide, and you don't open up the legs on your tripod, and you don't extend the 400 mm lens!

Those who danced were thought to be quite mad by those who could not hear the music -

Angela Monet

(Comments on images reflect personal opinion on creativity, visual impact and beauty.

Post Thanks / Like

Great idea Karin!

Please can you also organise some heating for those freezing mornings when your finger is stuck and your nose feels like it is frozen.

I prefer milo ....

Post Thanks / Like

I'll sell you milo with pleasure! I'll even add a hefty slug of OBS! I admire Avian photographers, I just don't have the patience, and sitting so peacefully - man, not possible in my life!

Angela Monet

Frequent Member Phillip.Grobler's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Linz
    Great idea Karin!

Please can you also organise some heating for those freezing mornings when your finger is stuck and your nose feels like it is frozen.

I prefer milo ....
    If you use a xxxd camera and the plastic kit lenses your hands wont het so cold
    Better to be occasionally cheated than perpetually suspicious.