Become a part of the community. Register and take part in all the features the site has to offer.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What Monitor

Post Thanks / Like

Default What Monitor

I am looking at getting a monitor to be used for photo editing. What should I look for in specs? Contrast, response time, etc?

Please note I am not a pro so I am not looking for top of the range!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What Monitor

Budget?
    I recommend this one for an average budget:
    http://www.wootware.co.za/dell-ultra...d-monitor.html
    Otherwise, a U2711 for ~R7300

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by J-D View Post
    Budget?
    I want to know what specs I should look for in a monitor. If I know what minimum requiremenst should be I know what to shop for to fit budget. At the moment I use a laptop so anything should be an improvement!

Frequent Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Budget?
    Sounds Good… Price is excellent.

IPS it should be. Search ODP - there has been much discussion about this topic.
    Best,

Leo Theron
    ... see my pictures HERE

Post Thanks / Like

The ones I recommended are both IPS monitors, which have far superior color rendition to TN panels, and the color does not shift so dramatically with viewing angle. IPS panels are typically much more expensive than normal TN panels found in most computer monitors, but they are definitely worth it for photo editing/viewing. You get some slightly cheaper LG monitors, but they do not calibrate them in the factory like Dell. The factory calibration is not perfect, but it is much better than an uncalibrated monitor.

What makes the monitor I linked special is - the next 24" IPS monitor costs just about twice as much, so it is a very good deal IMO.

Frequent Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Forget about all of the finer details, just get an IPS monitor, that will give you everything you ever need.
    Their prices are quite competitive these days, and Dell offer some excellent models.
    Regards, HILTON
    http://hiltonp-twotrains.blogspot.com/
    "If a photograph is interesting, nobody cares if it's technically good. If a photograph isn't interesting, nobody cares at all."

Post Thanks / Like

Any thougts on LG IPS235V 23" for R2105?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big W View Post
    Any thougts on LG IPS235V 23" for R2105?
    It is fairly decent. The Dell has better firmware - wuicker response time, and the LG will need calibration, but it still beats a TN panel for photos.

Frequent Member
    Post Thanks / Like

One caveat - the colour the monitor displays is a function of the static calibration of the screen, the video card used and the profile loaded into the card. You will HAVE to calibrate the screen using a hardware calibration device if you want it spot on.
    Best,

Leo Theron
    ... see my pictures HERE

Frequent Member Phillip.Grobler's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

windows 7 manages the profile in windows and there is no reason to load it to the gpu - or if it does windows does it with out you even knowing.

on the new intel sandy bridge motherboards it works on the onboard screen adaptor aswell.

I have the LG and Im very happy with it; but have no idea how it compares to the other LED based IPS screens.
    Better to be occasionally cheated than perpetually suspicious.

Post Thanks / Like

IIRC, the LG is 16:9, whereas the Dell is 16:10.... if that's the case, it might be worth keeping in mind.
    __________________________________________________ _________________________
    Blog - http://www.trevorives.com

Gear: something that goes 'click' when I press a button

Frequent Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pfgrobler View Post
    windows 7 manages the profile in windows and there is no reason to load it to the gpu - or if it does windows does it with out you even knowing.

on the new intel sandy bridge motherboards it works on the onboard screen adaptor as well.

I have the LG and Im very happy with it; but have no idea how it compares to the other LED based IPS screens.
    However, if you want the CORRECT colour, you MUST calibrate your screen.

To get back to the to the IPS displays - Windows (and Apple) knows which screen has been attached to the computer and loads an appropriate display profile (in win or the gpu -does not matter!) which is close to the best - but it has now way to know what the displayed picture looks like. THAT IS THE REASON WHY YOU HAVE TO CALIBRATE YOUR MONITOR During the calibration process standard colours are displayed, measured and adjusted to the standard colours, brightness and contrast. These adjustments are then combined in a profile - and that is what you use for the display of your images.

The normal display as we have it on our computers is an open loop system - the computer has no way to know what the display really looks like. When you calibrate your display you display, measure and adjust (in a closed loop system) and your adjustments are loaded into the computer for the best possible result.

You can use your display system as it comes out of the box, but then you have to content with colours that are different on other computers and printed matter.

There was a scientist many years ago who said: "To measure is to know"
    Best,

Leo Theron
    ... see my pictures HERE

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, well for the case where the OP does not have the money to calibrate right now, and is looking for a good screen, the Dell is the winner, since it will be a LOT closer to ideal colors than the LG - look at the reviews (some off them have reports on calibration). My Dell came with a calibration report. If he does buy the LG, I recommend you make a plan to calibrate it before doing much editing.

If you want to be sure your monitor is spot on, I agree, you have to calibrate.

Frequent Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Okay, well for the case where the OP does not have the money to calibrate right now, and is looking for a good screen, the Dell is the winner, since it will be a LOT closer to ideal colors than the LG - look at the reviews (some off them have reports on calibration). My Dell came with a calibration report. If he does buy the LG, I recommend you make a plan to calibrate it before doing much editing.

J-D

That calibration report is worth is weight in gold - if you view it on the computer that were used to make it. If not - it is pretty useless.

Every computer into which you plus that monitor will display a different rendering of the same image.

Very much like the fuel consumption figures that the motor car manufacturers give us...
    Best,

Leo Theron
    ... see my pictures HERE

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Theron View Post
    J-D

That calibration report is worth is weight in gold - if you view it on the computer that were used to make it. If not - it is pretty useless.

Every computer into which you plus that monitor will display a different rendering of the same image.

Very much like the fuel consumption figures that the motor car manufacturers give us...
    No, I completely disagree with you. A standard PC will use absolutely no color profile if it is not set. In other words - if you output a RGB value of 155,155,155 to the display, that is exactly what the monitor will receive, as long as you are using a digital interface, like HDMI, DisplayPort, or DVI. If you don't believe me, come visit, I have the equipment to measure high speed digital comms, and decode it.

Frequent Member
    Post Thanks / Like

If one goes for an IPS monitor, would you have to upgrade the graphics card ? I have a Nvidia GeForce 210 installed

Frequent Member
    Post Thanks / Like

No, I completely disagree with you. A standard PC will use absolutely no color profile if it is not set. In other words - if you output a RGB value of 155,155,155 to the display, that is exactly what the monitor will receive, as long as you are using a digital interface, like HDMI, DisplayPort, or DVI. If you don't believe me, come visit, I have the equipment to measure high speed digital comms, and decode it.
    J-D,

What you send… is what the screen will receive - 155,155,155 - as it is a digital display system. But what will it display? That is the question! Displayed colours are a function of the information sent to the monitor (as you said), the age of the backlighting, quality of the panel - true 8 bit? 6 bit dithered? - temperature of the display, and ...

The biggest problem with all displays are the highlights and shadow regions. 'Middle' colours are normally quite accurate. But highlights… and shadow rendering is what differentiate the men from the boys.

I cannot measure the communication from the computer to the screen, but what I can do is measure the result of that communication (the displayed image) using a screen calibration device. With that done and the new colour profile installed, I view a standard image (from Fuji) and then decide if I need to start all over again…
    Best,

Leo Theron
    ... see my pictures HERE

Frequent Member Phillip.Grobler's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Theron

However, if you want the CORRECT colour, you MUST calibrate your screen.

To get back to the to the IPS displays - Windows (and Apple) knows which screen has been attached to the computer and loads an appropriate display profile (in win or the gpu -does not matter!) which is close to the best - but it has now way to know what the displayed picture looks like. THAT IS THE REASON WHY YOU HAVE TO CALIBRATE YOUR MONITOR During the calibration process standard colours are displayed, measured and adjusted to the standard colours, brightness and contrast. These adjustments are then combined in a profile - and that is what you use for the display of your images.

The normal display as we have it on our computers is an open loop system - the computer has no way to know what the display really looks like. When you calibrate your display you display, measure and adjust (in a closed loop system) and your adjustments are loaded into the computer for the best possible result.

You can use your display system as it comes out of the box, but then you have to content with colours that are different on other computers and printed matter.

There was a scientist many years ago who said: "To measure is to know"
    I agree you must calibrate and the LG needs it more than most IPS panels - if you go by the reviews.

But if you run win7 you dont need a fancy graphics cards that support colour profiles to handle it. Windows can manage it on its own on xp you needed the card to manage the profiles. Or thats my understanding of it.
    Better to be occasionally cheated than perpetually suspicious.

Frequent Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Look here for a comprehensive review of Dell U2311H ....I used their advice on custom RGB callibration settings

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Blumberg View Post
    Look here for a comprehensive review of Dell U2311H ....I used their advice on custom RGB callibration settings
    Thanks for the link!!