Become a part of the community. Register and take part in all the features the site has to offer.

Post Thanks / Like

Default 2012 TIPA Awards

These are the TIPA Awards for 2012 which were held in Cape Town: http://www.tipa.com/english/XXII_tip...hp?iExpand1=70

Among which:
    Canon 1D X for Best Professional DSLR
    "Canon's new top of the line professional DSLR combines the creative advantages of a full frame sensor with high speed, high sensitivity technology to serve the needs of pro news, sports and wildlife photographers. Featuring an 18 MP CMOS sensor and powered by dual DIGIC 5+ image processors the EOS-1D X offers a well-balanced package of image quality and shooting speed that can go as high as 14 frames per second. Its standard 100-51,200 ISO range can be expanded to ISO 50 and 204,800. The newly engineered 61-point AF-system with 41 cross type sensors is the fastest and most accurate ever, enabling the camera to detect and track fast moving subjects even under lowlight conditions. Full HD video recording and built-in Ethernet complete the pro model."

Nikon D800 for Best Expert DSLR
    "Dubbed a "multimedia" camera, the D800 offers an amazing 24x36mm (full frame) 36 MP sensor that allows photographers to capture images of impressive quality. The image file size begins to rival medium format digital camera back output and allows photographers to print their images using large format sizes. Its Full HD video mode will also appeal to advanced photographers who want to make quality videos. Well-built, but not too heavy, fun to use, and equipped with all the essential functions, the D800 offers stereo sound, a range of ISO-6400 (expandable to ISO 25,600) and 4 frames-per-second burst rate. For TIPA members, the camera is without a doubt the best melding of high-end demands and the needs of a practical enthusiast."

Canon 5D Mark III for Best Video DSLR
    "The Canon EOS 5D Mark II changed the landscape of digital photography. No longer are digital still and video two separate worlds, shot with two distinctly different systems. Now users can decide whether to shoot stills or video (or both) on the spot, carrying just one camera system. The EOS 5D Mark III further improves this experience with a newly designed 61-point AF and 63-zone metering system, and a new 22 MP sensor with an incredibly high ISO sensitivity. Additional movie functions include manual exposure control and an enhanced range of high bit-rate video compression options, with intraframe (ALL-I) and interframe (IPB) methods both supported."

Nikon D5100 for Best Entry Level DSLR
    "With its 16.2 MP sensor, image quality at high ISO sensitivity and the excellent definition of the rear screen, the Nikon D5100 allows beginners to learn about the quality of a true reflex and more experienced users to have a very complete camera at an attractive price. Shooting ease is aided by the convenient access to photographer-controlled settings as well as its impressive Vari-Angle LCD monitor. Adding to the fun of using the camera are numerous in-camera special effects modes, including in-camera HDR. In addition, the D5100 offers Full 1080p HD movie capability."

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 2012 TIPA Awards

Hey dont forget about us Sony guys

Best Digital SLR Advanced: Sony Alpha SLT-A65

Best CSC Expert: Sony Alpha NEX-7
    FREE WILDLIFE AND NATURE PHOTO MAGAZINE
    Magazine Website ** Facebook Page

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Andre v View Post
    Hey dont forget about us Sony guys

Best CSC Expert: Sony Alpha NEX-7
    Yes sorry about that!

"Combining innovation with a class-high 24.3 MP sensor, the Sony Alpha SLT-65’s Translucent Mirror Technology enables 10 frames-per-second shooting at full resolution and Live View with phase detection focusing capability, available in all modes including HD Movie. TIPA members were especially impressed with the camera’s OLED (and world’s first) electronic viewfinder quality with "real time" camera adjustment previews. This impressive viewing experience (2359k dots) represents a breakthrough in ultra-high resolution clarity. The camera also offers three HD movie modes, including rich 24p and smooth 60p capability, all at Full HD resolution. For web videographers, the SLT-65 allows users to shoot MP4 videos as well."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Buller View Post
    These are the TIPA Awards for 2012 which were held in Cape Town: http://www.tipa.com/english/XXII_tip...hp?iExpand1=70

Among which:
    Canon 1D X for Best Professional DSLR
    "Canon's new top of the line professional DSLR combines the creative advantages of a full frame sensor with high speed, high sensitivity technology to serve the needs of pro news, sports and wildlife photographers. Featuring an 18 MP CMOS sensor and powered by dual DIGIC 5+ image processors the EOS-1D X offers a well-balanced package of image quality and shooting speed that can go as high as 14 frames per second. Its standard 100-51,200 ISO range can be expanded to ISO 50 and 204,800. The newly engineered 61-point AF-system with 41 cross type sensors is the fastest and most accurate ever, enabling the camera to detect and track fast moving subjects even under lowlight conditions. Full HD video recording and built-in Ethernet complete the pro model."
    I find it weird that they can give the award to a camera that has only been seen as a pre-production beta model (and the production model still hasn't reached real users' hands)...that being said I have not read the awards fine print so they might be entitled to do that...just feels odd...
    (perhaps I have my cap glued to my head haha)
    Morkel Erasmus
    Rom 1:20"...his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made..."

WEBSITE | SAFFASCAPES BLOG | FACEBOOK PAGE | GOOGLE+

Gear I use: , ClikElite bags, RedGed tripods

Post Thanks / Like

Agree with you here Morkel.
    They should probably run 1 year behind and rather vote for the products after they have been on the market and tested by various parties.

Saying that i dont think the manufacturers would like it, i am sure these awards help a lot with sales on new products
    FREE WILDLIFE AND NATURE PHOTO MAGAZINE
    Magazine Website ** Facebook Page

StockShooter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Morkel Erasmus View Post
    I find it weird that they can give the award to a camera that has only been seen as a pre-production beta model (and the production model still hasn't reached real users' hands)...that being said I have not read the awards fine print so they might be entitled to do that...just feels odd...
    (perhaps I have my cap glued to my head haha)

Hahahaha... Although I agree with their findings I also find it odd. I do think they actually have testers out on the equipment (or read it somewhere...) with actual in lab testing... I wonder how it works though... because that means they were supposed to have a production model 1Dx available... not the vapourware 1Dx

Post Thanks / Like

what a joke it will be if the 1Dx doesnt ship this year (or at all) or come out with issues like some other cameras in the past.
    Nudity is the most Avant Garde form of dress

www.elsahoffmann.co.za
    www.intimateimages.co.za

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if people can enter prototypes for the Car of the Year competition?

Essentially that's what's happened here
    shooter

Oh Lord, thank You for the 70-200 f2.8 VRII - can now finally take pictures of the dog and kids running through the sprinklers...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elsahoffmann View Post
    what a joke it will be if the 1Dx doesnt ship this year (or at all) or come out with issues like some other cameras in the past.
    Elsa I heard a rumour they might be testing "some light leak issues" on the 1Dx before shipment .......

in this fast pased game, "last years" rewards might as well be delayed for naother year to chose entry into the hall of fame. But then, NEW cameras like these on the long waiting lists are at least "here" ... prototypes that are not even being shipped yet .... uhm bit ambitious including these in these awards.

StockShooter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elsahoffmann View Post
    I, for one, am mystified why the camera is not with us already... I'd be hectically surprised if the camera is not in professionals hands before the olympics, because that will be a disaster for Canon PR...

Post Thanks / Like

The 1D4 was "delayed", if you recall, Sean and I have it from a good source that the REAL reason was that the important customers (Reuters took 800, I was told) were to be serviced first. On a low-volume production line like the 1D, fulfilling orders from the pros may take a while. As you rightly say, the 1DX is Canon's answer to the Olympics and putting it in the hands of the right people HAS to be a priority.
    Andre