Become a part of the community. Register and take part in all the features the site has to offer.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: So I took the 5D MkIII to Loftus for some Super Rugby .....

Quote Originally Posted by Morkel Erasmus View Post
    Arthur ..... produced some cracking avian images with his 5D2.... .
    He did indeed, Morkel, but he did so in spite of the AF system, not because of it. Arthur (and no doubt, Arash) is that good. I am not.
    For fast AF performance, Arthur always put the 1D4 ahead of the 5D2. But, in his latest blogs, he is putting the 5D3 AF ahead of the 1D4.
    AF performance of the 5D2 is weak, compared to its peers. On the 5D3, it is strong - even compared to its peers.
    So, for me, I am immensely pleased that Canon has improved its AF to this extent - that is far more important (to me) than improving image quality.
    As you say, though, everyone has different needs.
    Andre

Frequent Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
    Why you guys taking notice of the Nikon "fanboys"?
    It is unfortunate that you come to this conclusion. For my side it was not a Canon / Nikon debate but rather a MK3 vs MK2 debate.

I never said the MK3 is short of brilliant. Compared to what is available in the Canon camp, the upgrade in this camera with the most value is the new AF system and not IQ. The MK2 already had brilliant IQ and the upgrade in IQ from the MK2 to the MK3 is much smaller than the upgrade in the AF.

Unfortunately we photographers are becoming obsessed with ISO, and it becomes the most important point of comparison in new releases. I am not saying ISO is not important, I just feel that high ISO is becoming a little over rated at the moment.

But my opinions do not change the world and marketers know that photographers are ISO obsessed, which lead to exaggerated claims regarding the high ISO performance with every new camera release. And yes, this is unfortunately probably more so in the Canon camp.

Yes, the MK3 will be an brilliant camera for "shoot it all" photographers. Yes, it will be a damn good wildlife camera. Maybe even an upgrade for 1DM4 users, if you are not the "spray and pray" type. It will certainly be a humongous upgrade for all the 40D/50D/60D and even the 7D users.

What I am not certain about is the claim that the MK3 will be a brilliant upgrade for stills/landscape/studio photographers. An upgrade yes, but brilliant, I don't think so. The upgrades from the MK2 in areas important to this type of photographer is just not that big.

If you still believe or want to believe that you will be able to set the MK3 to iso12800 and shoot a midnight wedding with the available light, and be able to make high quality A1 prints from it, good luck !! And strongs !! Hope your customers is not going to be too concerned about quality. And to put things into perspective, I don't think any manufacturer have a camera that is able to do that - yet.
    Last edited by kobuspotgieter; 26-04-2012 at 11:25 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Kobus' Alt+Shift+Y defense is too strong for Alvin's Ctrl+Alt+B attack LOLOLOL
    shooter

Oh Lord, thank You for the 70-200 f2.8 VRII - can now finally take pictures of the dog and kids running through the sprinklers...

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately we photographers are becoming obsessed with ISO,
    +10

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kobuspotgieter View Post
    Unfortunately we photographers are becoming obsessed with ISO, and it becomes the most important point of comparison in new releases. I am not saying ISO is not important, I just feel that high ISO is becoming a little over rated at the moment.
    Because everyone knows that this is the photographer's motto:

"But I-SO pretty and I-SO good at photography! "
    Morkel Erasmus
    Rom 1:20"...his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made..."

WEBSITE | SAFFASCAPES BLOG | FACEBOOK PAGE | GOOGLE+

Gear I use: , ClikElite bags, RedGed tripods

Post Thanks / Like

I just feel that high ISO is becoming a little over rated at the moment.
    Again, it depends on your needs. For the wildlifers who shoot at dawn and dusk, we need all the ISO we can get.
    To be objective, though, ISO is one of three parameters in the exposure triangle - both aperture and shutter are
    pretty well tied up, so expanding ISO, (the only remaining creative variable left) makes an awful lot of sense.
    Remember that just a few years ago, people were saying that high megapixel cameras (>3 Mpx) were pointless too.
    Andre

Frequent Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerFox View Post
    Again, it depends on your needs. For the wildlifers who shoot at dawn and dusk, we need all the ISO we can get.
    Still remember the days when Chris van Rooyen was active on this form. With a 1DM2 "pushed" to iso 640 ?

'

StockShooter
    Post Thanks / Like

Still remember the days when Chris van Rooyen was active on this form. With a 1DM2 "pushed" to iso 640 ?
    Speaking of which, there is a very spiekeries, almost brand new mkII available in the 2nd hand cupboard

I also agree that in the basic studio, the lighting setup and control makes ISO ability for this camera almost null and void. anything under ISO 800 is pretty much clean, and shooting in super controlled environments like a basic studio setup it really makes no difference.

Where it starts to make a difference is when you have to balance ambient and artificial light on location. You can do more with the mkIII, easier. I have had to set up shots in the past where I have 4x 800watt lights shooting through scrims from outside a room to create enough "natural" light, now, that part is just a little bit easier. It's not that the shot can't be done with a mkII, it's just that it's easier with a mkIII

Where I think it will make a massive diference for wedding shooters, is the low light focussing abilities.

Frequent Member Philip Meyer (El Capitan)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by andreklopper View Post
    Must say what I've seen so far is that the mk III on ISO 3200 looks better than my 40D on ISO 400. And is scary because I don't know where to get 30k
    Andre

That's the beautiful thing about being poor ... you can't afford what you don't need !!
    "You see, in this world, there's only two kinds of people, my friend: those with loaded guns and those who dig.You dig."(Clint Eastwood) in "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Philip Meyer (El Capitan) View Post
    Andre

That's the beautiful thing about being poor ... you can't afford what you don't need !!
    Hahahah... I will stay with my motto. "Don't play with anything you cannot or do not want to afford"

StockShooter
    Post Thanks / Like

For those that actually wanted to see what Simon had to say about the 5DmkIII:

http://www.odpmagazine.co.za/index.p...eras&Itemid=22

Post Thanks / Like

Nice work Simon - as always

So lookes like my next wish list:
    - upgrade 7D to 1DIV (still prefer the fps and AF over these improved features on the 5DIII - for action/wildlife)
    - and upgrade 5DII to 5DIII (even better low light high ISO)
    Regards
    Alvin Flaum

a lot of toys!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Well written article Simon. Seems like the Canon to have for low-light shooting.
    Will do well with weddings - most grooms don't run anymore once the reception is underway, so should be able to focus and track well!
    Just proves the point again - the right tool for the job and lots of practice.

The wedding was great - now invite me to the marriage - GOD

http://www.ajkphotography.co.za
    http://picasaweb.google.com/kappaj

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Forgiss - Sean Nel View Post
    For those that actually wanted to see what Simon had to say about the 5DmkIII:

http://www.odpmagazine.co.za/index.p...eras&Itemid=22
    Nice article from Simon. Begins to provide me with a reason not to really upset the missus and even suggest I buy the 1d4 or worse still wait for the 1dx. Although I like BIF, I think the improved AF system on the 5d3 will more than meet my needs despite the lower frame rate than my 7D, but then I got spoilt when I went from the 50D to 7D!

Guys am I missing something?

.. and BTW, chaps at the odp shop give me a call as to when I can collect (at the right price of course!)
    The more you practice, the luckier you get! (Gary Player)

Post Thanks / Like

Thanx for reading my comic book. The 5D MkIII is a really decent piece of kit, I'd love to have one for bird photography. Sean, another mini-test coming up?? Rather not, I just hate handing over something I really like.
    Simon Du Plessis

www.actionimage.co.za simondp@actionimage.co.za

(I'll keep on shooting, and one of these days I'll get it right!)
    Contact me for training in Beginners, Macro, Wildlife or Sport & Action photography
    Please e-mail or PM me should you wish to have my comments on a specific image, or to comment/ask questions on my crits)

Frequent Member Francois Retief's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Simon - it was interesting reading your report on the 5D3. As you are aware, the camera has many different settings and options for the AF system. There is a 48 page illustrated guidebook available that explains all the various functions (download link below). Because the camera is so new there is not a lot of experience with the AF system at the moment - that will of course change as more people get experience with the 5D3 (and later the 1DX that uses the same system). In a few months from now we will be able to get AF settings suggestions for various scenarios just by searching the internet. Until then, the "early adopters" can only experiment with the standard case settings and make incremental changes to see what works best for their photography - but that is of course also a lot of fun .

Anyhow - for birds in flight I have used case 5 (you used case 4 for the rugby which is the recommended setting for that type of sport). I have found that the zone AF mode gives better results than expanded AF point - with the 7D (I don't have a 1D4 to compare) the expanded point worked better than zone AF. The AF system with zone AF and case 5 is excellent at tracking a bird moving parallel to the camera but is not as good when it comes straight towards the camera. Even in very low light this is excellent - for example, I have shot a motorcycle at the Rand Show jumping parallel to the camera (but inside the exhibition hall with very low light) with perfect focus lock 90% of the time - quite incredible ! However, the AF system is reasonably slow (more so with the 1.4 x converter) when it needs to lock focus on a bird that is close to the camera and suddenly appears into the frame. I think you had a similar experience with the rugby. Both case 4 (that you used for the rugby) and case 5 (that I use for BIF) have the tracking sensitivity parameter set to 0. I think if this is set to +1 or +2 the system will be more responsive for these scenarios but I still have to test this to be 100% sure. There also many other settings that are certain to have an effect on the AF system performance in various different scenarios.

I think it is going to take some time before we realize the true potential of this new AF system and before we will be able to make fair comparisons.

If anyone else with a 5D3 has some suggestions for AF settings please contact me so that we can share our experiences.

http://learn.usa.canon.com/resources...?categoryId=12

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dodging View Post
    Auto White Balance is way off - the pinks look blue
    O.K. just dragged myself off the floor, you own my a new humourous bone
    Equipment : 550D (extended battery grip) 1D Mk ii 40D, 430EX II flash, EF 50mm f/1.8 II, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS, 10-20mm SIGMA, 8mm CF SIGMA and an assortment of PENTAX lenses via M42 adaptor.

Find me at : http://www.level6.co.za (site due for update!) | http://gavinvandam.500px.com/ | http://www.facebook.com/Level.6.Photography/ (updated on a per event base!)

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like thenew firmware is already available for the 5DMK3.
    "There are always two people in every picture the photographer and the viewer." - Master Ansel.

Post Thanks / Like

Ag nee Simon, Is dit regtig nodig om sulke goed te skryf

Post Thanks / Like

To all you 5D MkIII users/potential users check out my review of the 5D MkIII on my site at http://www.dslrtraining.co.za/index..../reviews?id=22.