Become a part of the community. Register and take part in all the features the site has to offer.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Any last minute tips for prom pic's???

I wish I had asked sooner for suggestions, helpful hints, ideas for pictures of my daughter and her boyfriend late this afternoon at our house. We have several beautiful outdoor places that we usually use but unfortunately the weather calls for thunder storms for that time.

Or any editing ideas, suggestions or thoughts using Elements 10? My daughter has/uses Cs5.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Any last minute tips for prom pic's???

1. Don't use direct flash! Bounce flash or window light.
    2. Don't take the picture from too close. You want to be at least 15' away so that facial features don't suffer from perspective distortion.
    3. Watch the background. Clear away any unnecessary clutter that would be in your frame.
    4. Check the histogram to ensure your exposure is correct. Preferably use a 3-color histogram so you can ensure that none of your color channels is blown. Be particularly careful if she's wearing white or light colours.
    5. Use a tripod if possible.
    6. Don't put the ISO too high. 400 maximum. However raise ISO if this is the only way to get an acceptable shutter speed (1/100" minimum).
    7. Don't rely on Nikon balanced fill flash if bounce flash is your primary light source. If you have an external flash then set manual mode, ISO 400, 1/200", f/5.6 or so. Set the flash mode to TTL (not TTL-BL), bounce it off a white ceiling and verify the exposure on your histogram.
    8. Standing them some distance in front of the background can (a) help you to soften the background using shallow depth of field, and (b) avoid flash shadow on the background.
    9. Ensure their eyes are in focus. I usually use AF-S (single focus not continuous) with a single, manually selected focus point. I make sure the focus point is on the subject's eyes when focussing.
    10. Take several frames in each pose. Especially if using flash, one of them may have blinked or have a dumb expression.
    11. Preferably shoot RAW. If you shoot JPG then triple check that your white balance is set correctly.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Andrew , you're always so helpful.

Post Thanks / Like

My pleasure. How did it go? Hope you got some nice pics.

Andrew

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Roos View Post
    My pleasure. How did it go? Hope you got some nice pics.

Andrew
    I always want to redo the event but that means I see my mistakes. I learn more from my mistakes than my luckey shots. I posted one in the beginners section. I have a few that turned out. Fortunately the rain stopped and we could go outside for some too.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's a lovely picture, you did really well.
    And I see you got that 24-120. Good choice.