Become a part of the community. Register and take part in all the features the site has to offer.

Frequent Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Question WACOM / Graphics Tablets

Hi ,

After reading the review by "Forgis" I have been tempted to look at a tablet ( NO not an iPad )

The current End of Line Intuos 4 is still just too expensive

I see on eBay it is still possible to get the older Intuos 3 -- pity America is so far away !

Does anyone know where I can get a used , refurb , gathering dust on a shelf example ? ( for cheap )

The 6x11 looks pretty good

This is what it looks like Wacom intuos 3 6x11 Professional Pen, Mouse, & Tablet

A new Genius could do the trip -- but an old second hand WACOM might be better ?

An suggestions ?

StockShooter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: WACOM / Graphics Tablets

Hahahaha...

We sold our old Wacom Intuos3's for R2,000 when we got the 4's... They don't tend to stay on the classifieds long (mine was on for the sum total of three minutes - Somebody bought it in the shop when they saw my put it on the classifieds )

I would suggest though looking at the new Bamboo Fun (Pen + Touch) for about R2,400

Not quite as sensitive as the Intuos4 but pretty good and I think matching the old ver3's specs pretty close. This one has a larger pen than the previous bamboo's and also removable nibs.

Post Thanks / Like

Dont know how I got along without my Wacom. I have the Intuos 3 (Medium) - and it is perfect.
    The pen is shot though as Keith Rawlins' cat chowed it and it no more "clicks" (still for the rest works 100%) - soooo
    I bought the Intuos5, SMALL, and it is even more perfect. (but I still dont use the "click" thing that much.)
    no I wont sell my Intuos 3, I use that too. I have different workstations.
    Have you considered the small tablet?? I wont ever buy a M size again
    Small ones are cheaper.....
    Nudity is the most Avant Garde form of dress

www.elsahoffmann.co.za
    www.intimateimages.co.za

Frequent Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Re: WACOM / Graphics Tablets

Thanks for all the replies

The info in this link should explain why I need the Intuos and not the Bamboo

Global Mapper with WACOM Tablet

Much to my delight, I discovered the "Create New Line (Trace Mode)" in v11.
    This is a feature I have longed for as it makes presenting airphoto interpretation so much easier.
    I can just happily trace my features instead of click-move-click-move-click...

I can confirm the click-move-click-move-click... you need to go slow in order to "deposit" lots of vertices

So come on guys someone must know where I can get one ? ( cheep cheep )

Frequent Member floydthebarber71's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Elsa (or anyone else that has first-hand experience with this), any reason you have shunned medium sized tablets? I am considering getting a Pen (or Pen & Touch) Bamboo for photo editing, and the first consideration is medium or small.

I've never used a tablet before so I'm not sure how sensitive and accurate they are, I'm just worried the small size is a bit too small for intricate flicks that I assume I will be doing as second nature from my art/sketching history. Do you have to zoom in a lot to edit efficiently?

I'm going with the Bamboo because I'm not sure of the benefit of the Intuos for the price. I hear it's not as sensitive or accurate, but I won't tell the difference The surface is also apparently rougher so I don't know how fast one will go through the nibs.

I'm also uncertain whether to go with the Pen or the Pen & Touch, don't know which is more practical for editing.

Can anyone offer some advice? I'm just trying to justify price differences Difficult to find anything specific on Google..
    Zaahir Essa

Photography

Racing

Post Thanks / Like

Size wise there is not that much difference between the M and S anyway.

I have even reduced my working space on both of the tablets - so I dont have to move my hand all over the darn tablet - and it works like a charm.
    I think I use about 50% of the tablet (I reduced the working space to 50%) I wish it was a smaller tablet - currently it still takes too much space next to my laptop. For me that is.

www.elsahoffmann.co.za
    www.intimateimages.co.za

Post Thanks / Like

It really depends on whether you will be using it for photo editing or artwork. The artists tend to like the bigger sizes, as it can match the actions they are used to for traditional medium. So if you are used to working with your arm (as opposes to just your hand), then a bigger size is better. For most photo editing, the smaller sizes dont seem to be a problem.

I have the medium Intuos3 as well. Remember that the active area can match your screen (so top left corner of your tablet will be the top left corner on your screen). You can adapt to just about any size.

The same can be said for sensitivity, if you are doing artwork, the sensitivity is important. For photo editing, not so much.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by floydthebarber71 View Post
    Hi Elsa , any reason you have shunned medium sized tablets?
    Me and Elsa had this size discussion in private a while ago. I would like to hear the points of view of other tablet users on this, please.

BTW, my preference pretty much coincide with Elsa's views.
    Cobus

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. I drew out the active area of the small size (147 x 92 mm) and it seems like one could get used to it. I do see what you mean about moving your hand around for anything larger. I'm used to drawing so my natural personal preference would be the medium.

Now to decide on the Pen, or Pen & Touch Bamboo! One is half the price. Or maybe a used Intuos 3, hmmbop! Anyone tried both these models?
    Zaahir Essa

Photography

Racing

Frequent Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I tried Elsa's WACOM the other day and was really impressed by the sensitivity and accuracy of the pen. Even though Elsa is using the small model she has further reduced the working area via the software. This means that one can virtually move from corner to corner of the work area without having to move your wrist, which makes for very quick and easy use. Despite working within a small area that accuracy of the pen was excellent and precise.

I am actually surprised that WACOM don't make a "super small" model about the size of an iPhone/smart phone. It would be excellent for people on the move.
    Regards, HILTON
    http://hiltonp-twotrains.blogspot.com/
    "If a photograph is interesting, nobody cares if it's technically good. If a photograph isn't interesting, nobody cares at all."

StockShooter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have had almost every higher end wacom since the graphire3. The reason why there are different sizes are simply because people want to be able to use it differently. I personally feel the "small" size is too small if you need to work a bit wider/bigger (large blur/dodge/burn areas) acurately, but for anything else, there really shouldn't be a "size" issue because you can zoom in to 100% on screen and that is the full coverage of a small, or 70% on a bigger tablet...

The biggest thing is large size accuracy (so how small is the close window button on a 27" screen on a small tablet?) That is why I feel the "medium" size helps me work the fastest. It's not just while editing, but for everything that happens inbetween (selecting options/brushes/etc, etc)

as far as the difference between a Intuos and a Fun+Touch

The intuos has a:
    higher resolution
    more sensitive touch (I think 10x more than the Pen+Touch/Fun versions)
    heavier and longer pen
    Can take different pen types (airbrush, etc)

All that makes it easier to work faster and smoother. That said...

The new fun/pen/touch tablets are very good, much better than the old pro graphire series,
    Some have the eraser on the end of the pen (not all)
    Some have interchangable nibs (again, not all)
    The fact that the nibs are not as sensitive as the intuos menas you also wear through them faster (a non-issue in my opinion)

I think you can be pretty happy with all of them, but will still suggest intuos for power users...

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys, all helpful info!

I've done some other general reading around too, and general consensus is that the Touch capability on the Bamboo P&T is either useless or frustrating. Then when you look at the Pen only, it has half the sensitivity of the P&T. Hmm. Both of these have less resolution than the Intuos, so getting a small Bamboo might feel a bit inaccurate. I'm sure one wouldn't notice having never used an Intuos before, though.

This review was useful to me:
    http://www.amazon.com/review/R12O03W...wasThisHelpful

In the end it's also what you can afford, and the Bamboo really is affordable - especially the Pen (R700 or so).
    Zaahir Essa

Photography

Racing

Post Thanks / Like

Either way you go, it is a huge upgrade from the humble mouse. I echo Elsa's statement, I simply cannot work with a mouse anymore.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr

Post Thanks / Like

And dont complain about the price - at least if you pay for this thing you have something in your hand. Take your car for a service and the only thing you have in your hand is his account.

www.elsahoffmann.co.za
    www.intimateimages.co.za

StockShooter
    Post Thanks / Like

I think right now, the best value for money is the new Bamboo Fun (Pen Touch). What you get for what you pay. and the resolution is really not a problem!

Post Thanks / Like

Zaahir Essa

Photography

Racing