Become a part of the community. Register and take part in all the features the site has to offer.

Frequent Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Canon mk3 extenders/tele converter

I am considering the mk3 tleconverter in 1.4X. I had both mk2 versions which I sold here on ODP. I found the 2X did not do what I wanted whike the 1.4X was just nice.

There is a huge premium in the mk3, is this justified?

Frequent Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Canon mk3 extenders/tele converter

Hi Deon
    Will you be using them on the same lenses that you used the 1.4x and 2.0x vers II extenders on? What lenses are those?

Post Thanks / Like

Grant time for yet another comparitive test ...

I have the 2x mkIII if you need one for the test

Frequent Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Chris, I only have a 1.4x mkII right now...:-)...so not sure what we can make out of that :-).
    Aside from whatever differences there are in image quality, the mk III extenders both substantially more robust than the Mk II extenders. They have a stronger design and are also held together more firmly with a 6 or 7 screw attachment compared to just 4 on the older extenders. Extenders take quite a lot of pressure in terms of having a heavy lens on one end and a camera body on the other, so that is one big improvement in terms of durability.
    cheers
    Grant

Frequent Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Morning guys,
    I will use it on a 70-200mk2.
    Ihave done some research but would actually like real word feedback. It did not take long for me to sell my 2Xmk2 converter as it really did not help me much. The 1.4mk2 on the other hand proved a lot better.

True the build is completely different, which is reassuring but I would like to know whether I am buying myself into a loss here.

Frequent Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Deon
    It depends on why you did not like the 2x vers II? I cannot say that I found the new 2x III night and day better than the 2x ver II in all situations. I did find the 2xIII to be pretty sharp at f5.6, but I did find it quite limiting for BIF on the 400f2.8. It was quite challenging to get a lock on the flying birds and equally hard to get a really sharp shot.
    For slow-moving subjects it worked very well.
    I have also found the converters have less effect on the 1Dmk4 AF response than they do on that of the 7D or 5Dmk2. In other words, AF speed is better with the 1Dmk4 than the 7D.
    Will be interesting to hear others experiences.
    cheers
    Grant

Frequent Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanx for the reply Grant.
    Even on my 1Dmk2n, the AF was not great when using the 2Xmk2. So Im not a fan at all. The 1.4mk2 was a lot better on the 70-200 & 300F4. It did not work great using a 400/5.6.
    TO be honest the use of the 1.4mk2 was notable on the 7D, but I hoped the 1.4mk3 with the new generation lens would make a big difference.

It is quite a stretch to a 300F2.8 mk2 lens......

Post Thanks / Like

A theoretically perfect 1.4 converter will reduce your resolution by a factor of 1.4 times. A 2x converter will reduce it
    by 2x, giving exactly the same deterioration (and exactly the same magnification) as two 1.4 converters stacked.
    So, if you need the magnification, you must pay the price in resolution. Both are capable of delivering exceptionally
    sharp images if your aerial image from the lens is sharp enough in the first place.
    I currently own both converters (1.4 and 2) and in both versions (II and III). My idea was to buy the new and sell
    the old but I find that the old converters are so close in terms of optical performance, that they are worth holding on to.
    I use the 1.4 converters a lot more, as they still give me autofocus on the 7D with my 600 f/4 and 400 f/4 primes.
    I cannot tell the two converters apart - either in the field, or in terms of the images they produce.
    When my 2x lets me down, I can generally trace the problem back to my technique, of an external factor (usually heat haze).
    Many serious reviewers rate the new 2x as optically better than the old one, and it probably is, but I cannot say that I have
    noticed the difference in my field work.
    I have also not had a problem with the construction of the mk II converters, despite using heavy glass all the time.
    So, I think that the big advantage of the Mk III converters is in their internal chip, which will only be an advantage with
    compatible lenses.
    Andre

Frequent Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanx for the feedback Andre.