5D MkII features in new Navy Seal Movie - Act of Valor
"Act of Valor" premiered this week on Sunset Blvd. As you may know the film stars active duty Navy SEALs, and residents of Hollywood had themselves a momentary scare as the stars of the film parachuted down to the Red Carpet. The film was Directed by Mike McCoy and Scott Waugh and the Cinematography was accomplished by Shane Hurlbut.While there have been tons of HDSLR films out in the wild by now (a report stated that more than 70% of the films screened at Sundance in 2010 were shot on HDSLRs) Act of Valor should occupy a special place in HDSLR history books. Mike, Scott and Shane were some of the first to jump onto the HDSLR bandwagon three years ago as they shot this film (and were forced to keep quiet about it as with any film in production – let alone one shot w/ the cooperation of the special forces) and what they pulled off is pretty spectacular.
Shane says that 75% of the film was shot on the Canon 5D MKII and the other 25% with film cameras. This makes sense as it was nearly impossible to use the 5D MKII on remote/stabilized helicopter mounts in the early days of HDSLRs for example (there was no way to control the camera let alone start/stop it.)