Become a part of the community. Register and take part in all the features the site has to offer.

Post Thanks / Like

Default AfricaRAW is a new website: +++wildlife photos + tips on photos, travel, & 4WD

Hello,
    my wife and I are old retirees, who on retiring 7 years ago decided to try and become wildlife photographers. We travel all around Africa for 6 months a year in our LC76SW with rooftop tent. Like most pensioners we do have plenty of time but not enough cash!! So we live simply and travel rough, far and wide.

We have turned from being, we hope, old age pensioners into "old age adventurers"

We are still novices, and thats why we believe it is useful to share our viewpoints & experiences, good & bad, with other beginners of all ages. We have put down many misformed photographic photos and nutured the best survivors, from the massive cruel culls, in LR4 & PS CS5. These photos are shown in the mammal, bird, reptile, landscape, & B&W galleries

We are updating the hundreds of pictures and many tips all the time at the moment as we have a 6 year backlog. We will continue to do this as we return from our trips each year.

Please have a peep at

www.Africaraw.com

When we travelled the dangerous highways in Tanzania we saw these words emblazoned on the tarmac everywhere. we realized there was a general truth hidden in the saying and so we adopted our new motto: Pole Pole korna kali mbele which means Slowy Slowly sharp bends ahead!!!!

Many adventures & cheers

Oldageadventurer
    exbrakpanite
    Old age adventurers
    www.africaraw.com

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: AfricaRAW is a new website: +++wildlife photos + tips on photos, travel, & 4WD

now THIS sounds like a GOOD retirement !

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: AfricaRAW is a new website: +++wildlife photos + tips on photos, travel, & 4WD

Thats if you like very hard work, Chris. This is more a second career than a hobby, pity its unpaid, but many many other perks for sure.

We try to be the first out and the last back day after day, week after week. It gets hard and you need a great deal of patience. but come to think of it my whole life Ive done nothing but sit and dream. Now I do the same hour after hour waiting for animal action. The only real difference is my finger is now kept bent as I dream!!

You and your wife both have to be crazy and busy with photography or otherwise hire a good divorce lawyer. In our case we are lucky enough to both want to carry on till we cant lift the damn heavy lenses or even worse have forgott6en what the reason was for trying to lift them in the first place.

But they say using new parts of the brain as you age does delay dementia.

Have a peep and see that its not always good where we have been stuck!!

But more seriously, thanks for the interest and I hope our tips prove useful one day.
    exbrakpanite
    Old age adventurers
    www.africaraw.com

Frequent Member Johan Grobbelaar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Thoroughly enjoyed your website and photos and envy your lifestyle!

Post Thanks / Like

I enjoyed spending some time on your website, thanks for sharing it with us.
    FREE WILDLIFE AND NATURE PHOTO MAGAZINE
    Magazine Website ** Facebook Page

Post Thanks / Like

Your living my dream(while stuck in the office). Thanks for sharing.
    Jeff Ash

Post Thanks / Like

Very good website - photos are magic with great compositions and action.
    Ken Jerrard

Today is the oldest you've ever been, yet the youngest you'll ever be, so enjoy the day!!!
    Light travels faster than sound - this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    "Acceptance doesn't mean resignation. It means understanding that something is what it is and there's got to be a way through it" - Michael J. Fox
    www.KenJerrard.com

Post Thanks / Like

What a magnificent why to spend your retirement. Liked your website.
    Jan de Beer
    **You're known by what you show, not by what you shoot.**

StockShooter
    Post Thanks / Like

nice!

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for sharing with us, makes me look forward to retirement
    Equipment : 550D (extended battery grip) 1D Mk ii 40D, 430EX II flash, EF 50mm f/1.8 II, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS, 10-20mm SIGMA, 8mm CF SIGMA and an assortment of PENTAX lenses via M42 adaptor.

Find me at : http://www.level6.co.za (site due for update!) | http://gavinvandam.500px.com/ | http://www.facebook.com/Level.6.Photography/ (updated on a per event base!)

Post Thanks / Like

Red face Re: AfricaRAW is a new website: +++wildlife photos + tips on photos, travel, & 4WD

Thank you all for the kind words , which fuel up the tanks of old age adventurers +++++++++++++++++

Best wishes
    Howard and Marianne

www.africaraw.com
    exbrakpanite
    Old age adventurers
    www.africaraw.com