Become a part of the community. Register and take part in all the features the site has to offer.

Post Thanks / Like

Default High-Speed-Sync on Canon 60D??

Would just like to find out if anyone knows if the Canon 60D supports High-Speed-Sync (Auto-FP for Nikonians) above its normal X-sync speed of 1/250s?

Would one be able to use the 60D and 270 ex ii for instance to get HIGH SPEED SYNC (HSS) for daylight portraits?

I see the new Nikon D7000 built-in flash's normal X-Sync speed is 1/250s (same as the 60D), but there's a 1/320s (Auto FP) option at reduced range. FP flash sync speeds as high as 1/8000s are available the with optional SB-900, SB-800, SB-700 external flash units.

Is the above the same for the 60D with its equavalent speedlites such as say the 430EXII or new 270EXII? There seems to be a lot of conflicting info out there on the web and was wondering if anyone out there has some real-world experience on this.

Nikon removed HSS (Auto-FP) from D3100 and D5100 which is really annoying, and cheaper nikon flash like SB400 doesn't offer HSS. It appears that the Canon 270 ex ii does?

This is not supposed to be a canon vs. nikon debate but rather what the cold facts are on the 60D/7D in this regard. Trying to advise a friend sitting in Zimbabwe on this before he buys.

Many Thanks and anxiously awaiting all the usual well-informed ODP replies!

Frequent Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: High-Speed-Sync on Canon 60D??

The 7D, and presumably the 60D (if the 60D manual is anything to go by) support high-speed shutter sync, either via the external flash menu on the camera or on the speedlite itself.
    "Please accept my resignation. I donít care to belong to any club that will have me as a member" Groucho Marx

Post Thanks / Like

It is a function of the flash and the 60D and 430EX combo will give you that function. Press the button with the H and lightning next to it on the flash or there may be some menu function on the camera. I am not familiar with the 60D but it even worked on my old 20D
    Johan Pienaar (Pine)

Post Thanks / Like

I think all of the XXXD and up bodies support High speed sync if used with a compatible flash. On my 350D I simply had to select H(lightning) on the 430EXII and the camera then allowed HSS up to 1/4000th. I presume the 60D works similarly. I will check on my 7D and see how it does this (still figuring the beast out)...
    Mike Blackburn

My Flickr
    My Blog - Gas|Pixels

7D, 5D, 350D
    300 4L ,70-200 2.8L,17-40 4L,50 1.8,2xTCII, 1.4x TCII,50 1.8,70 2.8 EX DG MACRO | 430EXII

Post Thanks / Like

OK, a quick update. Just checked on the 7D. Selecting HSS on the flash unit allows SS up to 1/8000 with HSS. So it should work provided the 220EX supports High speed sync. Hope this helps.
    Mike
    Mike Blackburn

My Flickr
    My Blog - Gas|Pixels

7D, 5D, 350D
    300 4L ,70-200 2.8L,17-40 4L,50 1.8,2xTCII, 1.4x TCII,50 1.8,70 2.8 EX DG MACRO | 430EXII

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 7D with Canon 430EX but cant seem to access this function in the menu of the camera. camera keeps telling me incompatible flash??
    Any advice.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Thomas. If you go into the camera settings menu under "flash settings" (or something like that) then select "built in flash control" (not external flash control) in that menu you can control whether the wireless function is active or not. There are a couple of options which control when the inboard flash fires.
    Make sure your 430 is in slave mode by holding down the button with the lightning bolt next to it for 2 seconds. The red light on front of the flash will blink.
    Let us know if this helps.
    Mike Blackburn

My Flickr
    My Blog - Gas|Pixels

7D, 5D, 350D

Post Thanks / Like

thanx for quick reply.I can manage wireless triggering the 430 but sync speed is capped at 250. when the flash is on slave mode pressing the"lightning button" does nothing. Im sure Im missing something here.
    all the menu items relating to high sync speed are grayed out?

Frequent Member
    Post Thanks / Like

You shouldn't need to put your flash into slave mode to activate high speed sync.

The 430EX could possibly be too old for the 7D to use the external flash menu so you may not be able to set it from the camera but according to page 16 of the user manual you just need to press the high speed sync button on the flash (lightning bolt with an H next to it) and then you should be able to dial in a shutter speed faster than 1/250th.
    "Please accept my resignation. I donít care to belong to any club that will have me as a member" Groucho Marx

Post Thanks / Like

All sorted! Thanks Williams

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thomas c
    All sorted! Thanks Williams
    glad to hear it....
    Must go and try that out now..
    Mike Blackburn

My Flickr
    My Blog - Gas|Pixels

7D, 5D, 350D

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the advice here guys. Much appreciated.