Become a part of the community. Register and take part in all the features the site has to offer.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Best camera settings for Portraits??

Hi,

Im a wedding portrait photographer and want to know what is the best settings to set your camera when shooting wedding portraits?

Frequent Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Best camera settings for Portraits??

If you are a wedding portrait photographer, you shouldn't be asking!
    James Mitchell
    -Once was Matatazela-
    New Zealand

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with James here...seriously???

Post Thanks / Like

maybe the guy just wants to improve his technique!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slowjoe View Post
    maybe the guy just wants to improve his technique!
    Slowjoe (and vzphoto),

these are the sort of questions you ask LONG before you give yourself out as an advanced "wedding portrait photographer"

Anyway, immediately questions like: which camera; which lens; the setting (lighting); etc., etc., etc., spring to mind - which should be answered first, I think.

Leon de Bruyn

Post Thanks / Like

Here's real advice ........... best is to go for a highest possible shutter speed and max apperture to reduce camera shake.

Post Thanks / Like

yeah, he needs to have a full frame camera and some fixed aperture lenses that doesnt have more than a 3x zoom, otherwise theres no point to even ponder on settings

Frequent Member Johann van Rensburg's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Amazing what crap can sometimes be posted here......

Elmer, I bet not one of these guys actually even looked at your website.....hence the comments are .

Your results on your site seriously indicate that somehow the question you posted was an attempt to get some specific info or maybe just to give you even more confidence in your own choice of settings.

Your results (as on your website) also definitely sets you apart from MANY posters here, as it is clear that you have a very good understanding of photography in general (technically), that are able to think creatively, and that you can produce the goods without the need to hide behind excessive processing.

Maybe just come back and ask again - this time being a bit more specific.
    JOHANN VAN RENSBURG

POWERED BY CANON

AMANZIMTOTI

Frequent Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Johann van Rensburg View Post
    Amazing what crap can sometimes be posted here......

Elmer, I bet not one of these guys actually even looked at your website.....hence the comments are .

Your results on your site seriously indicate that somehow the question you posted was an attempt to get some specific info or maybe just to give you even more confidence in your own choice of settings.

Your results (as on your website) also definitely sets you apart from MANY posters here, as it is clear that you have a very good understanding of photography in general (technically), that are able to think creatively, and that you can produce the goods without the need to hide behind excessive processing.

Maybe just come back and ask again - this time being a bit more specific.
    Actually, I did look at the website. There is excellent work there, which set me wondering, is this question for real? All I could think of though was that the question is so vague as to be virtually meaningless in the context of who is posting it. He could be giving advice to most people on this forum, and yet he is asking an absolute noob question. Maybe just posting for the sake of advertising his website? I agree with you that a wedding portrait photographer should not be asking such a vague question.

Maybe something alongh the lines of "Hi everyone, at this time of the year shooting weddings at 17:00-17:30 in the afternoon can be tricky with low light. Im not really a fan of a tripod as i feel it slows me down.

When i push up my ISO to 400-800 how can i make those noisy images work for me or get rid them? "
    James Mitchell
    -Once was Matatazela-
    New Zealand

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Witblits View Post
    Slowjoe (and vzphoto),

these are the sort of questions you ask LONG before you give yourself out as an advanced "wedding portrait photographer"
    Maybe he is an advanced "Green" photographer

Quote Originally Posted by Johann van Rensburg View Post

And it could be that he has a good eye but still uses program modes and wants to move to manual
    You haven't seen the world till you've seen it through a Lens -Erik

www.essencephoto.co.za

Post Thanks / Like

What i was after was the setting on your camera ie: In your menu 1. What Picture style 2. Color Space??

I know settings like Aperture and shutter speed. Please take it easy with the comments guys. I joined to learn something. Thanx Johann for your feedback!

Frequent Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vzphoto View Post
    What i was after was the setting on your camera ie: In your menu 1. What Picture style 2. Color Space??
    Rule nr 1 for any serious photographer is : shoot RAW

Picture styles are not read by most RAW converters and can be changed in the others.

The colour space preference is also set in your RAW converter and irrespective of the colorspace you choose in-camera, the program will apply the RAW converter preference.

If you absolutely have to shoot Jpeg, always use the picture style with the least contrast and saturation. I find it more effective to add contrast/saturation than to reduce it.

Frequent Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Picture styles limit you in PP. If you select a bold, high contrast setting, and you get a fantastic, atmospheric shot suited to more subtle tones, you are a bit over a barrel, so to speak. It will be much harder to make the most of the image. I like to soot in RAW as well for this reason, although most of my images are seriously lacking in the PP department. As far as colourspace - I'm a bit lost there too.
    PS - the question is more specific and a lot easier to get where you are coming from!
    James Mitchell
    -Once was Matatazela-
    New Zealand

Post Thanks / Like

I would also shoot in Raw - but that's my personal opinion and doesnt mean you have to do it. For me (personally) I find picture styles gimmicky - but have to admit tha I have seen some great stuff by guys who have realy waxed this and its part of their style.
    I have noted that many wedding togs prefer to shoot in JPeg - in fact a raw shooter is more rare - I accept that it may not be practical to shoot Raw always.
    Nudity is the most Avant Garde form of dress

www.elsahoffmann.co.za
    www.intimateimages.co.za

Post Thanks / Like

Quote "I know settings like Aperture and shutter speed. Please take it easy with the comments guys. I joined to learn something. Thanx Johann for your feedback!"

It would've helped if your question indicated that you at least know how to switch a camera on.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanx for the info. Thanx Kobus, James and Elsa

Frequent Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I would add that for outdoor portraits stick to 200 ISO. I find (with canon 40D and 20D) the flash doesn't work hard enough for fill at 400 ISO. And set your apeture to match the need of depth of field.

About the initial responses to your first post, there is simply no excuse for the replies you got. A well timed "capture the decisive moment" and properly composed image will kill any plain jane "d3x-f1.2-RAW-Prime Lens-MTF Tested-Noise in the shadows Blah Blah Blah...." dull boring photo.

You may have the eye that no book of website can give you but now wish to hone the technical side of your shooting. Go ahead and ask away. Let the nice guys reply and ignore the rest.

I have a group on facebook called "Photographers who shoot weddings, not each other." Feel free to join. There are still some nice guys out there.